Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Toveine Gazal is an Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah. She was also a Sitter for the Red Ajah until she was exiled about fifteen to twenty years ago for playing a part in gentling men outside of Tar Valon (ACoS, Prologue; TPoD, Ch. 26). During her exile, she worked on Mistress Jara Doweel's farm (TPoD, Ch. 26).
Toveine is a short woman, and slightly plump. She has smooth, copper skin, and dark eyes. Her long hair is dark and glossy. She is considered to be pretty, though not beautiful (TPoD, Ch. 26).
- Toveine and two other Red Aes Sedai are exiled for gentling male channelers outside of Tar Valon. (ACoS, Prologue ; TPoD, Ch. 26)
- Fifteen to twenty years later, Toveine is called out of exile by Elaida. Her orders are to take fifty Aes Sedai with her to take care of the Black Tower. (ACoS, Prologue; WH, Prologue)
- Toveine and Gabrelle speak about what is happening in the Black Tower. They decide that the fifty-one Aes Sedai at the Black Tower must unite, and that the two of them must submit to Desandre and Lemai, who are the highest ranking among them. (WH, Prologue)
- Toveine and Gabrelle go riding with Logain. (CoT, Prologue)
- Toveine and many others accompany Logain when he goes to find Rand. (CoT, Ch. 24).
- Androl might have killed Toveine along with many other Dreadlords with a gateway when the dreamspike was deactivated (AMoL, Ch. 14).
The other fifty Aes Sedai captives at the Black Tower blame Toveine for their capture. Had it not been for Logain, they would have had their revenge on her the first night. (WH, Prologue)
Toveine resents Logain for bonding her (WH, Prologue). However, after Lemai and Desandre order all of the Aes Sedai to achieve cordial relations with the Asha'man who hold their bonds, she begins to smile and simper at him. (CoT, Prologue)
Toveine and Gabrelle, though both bonded to Logain, are far from friends. Gabrelle often wishes that Toveine would turn down the opportunity to go riding with Logain so that she can be really alone. (CoT, Prologue)
- Elaida abandons Toveine and the other Aes Sedai with her to their fate (ACoS, Ch. 32).
- Toveine once shirked her duty at Mistress Doweel's farm to sneak away and comfort herself with a pretty boy. (TPoD, Ch. 26).
- Toveine likes pretty boys who are eager and grateful and easily controlled (TPoD, Ch. 26).
- Although, at the time, Toveine had considered Mistress Doweel's farm to be the Pit of Doom, she has changed her mind; the Black Tower is now her Pit of Doom (WH, Prologue).
- Toveine wishes to escape the Black Tower, even if only for long enough to put her hands around Elaida's throat (WH, Prologue).
- When Toveine thinks of the black wall that is being built to surround the Black Tower, she sees an implacable force that cannot be stopped, an avalanche of black stone sliding down to bury the White Tower (WH, Prologue).
- Elaida ordered Toveine to gentle every man found at the Black Tower and then hang them on the spot, without a trial in Tar Valon as is required by Tower Law (WH, Prologue).
- Gabrelle thinks that Toveine would not have yielded to Desandre and Lemai's orders if Lemai were not Red (CoT, Prologue).
- Toveine has managed to send a report on the Black Tower to Pevara through one of the Red Ajah agents in Cairhien (CoT, Ch. 22).
"At my command, we will break in every direction. As soon as you are far enough away that the man loses the shield, turn back and help the Guards." (Toveine to the other Aes Sedai when confronted by the Asha'man; The Path of Daggers, Chapter 26)
"Turning his horse to ride back to the road, Logain told her what he had done, and she put her head against that wide chest, not caring at all how big he was, and wept. She was going to make Elaida pay for this, she vowed. If Logain ever let her, she would. That last was an especially bitter thought." (Toveine when Logain tells her that he has bonded her; The Path of Daggers, Chapter 26)
"Lying on her hard narrow cot, she sighed with regret. Her hands around Elaida's throat had been just a pleasant dream. The tiny canvas-walled room was reality. She had slept poorly, and she felt thinned, drained. She had overslept, too; there would be no time for breakfast. Reluctantly she tossed off her blankets. The building had been a small warehouse of some sort, with thick walls and heavy rafters low overhead, but there was no heat. Her breath misted, and the crisp morning air pricked through her shift before her feet reached the rough floorboards. Even if she could have considered lying abed in this place, she had her orders. Logain's filthy bond made disobedience impossible, no matter how often she wished it." (Winter's Heart, Prologue)
"No one got away with pushing down Toveine Gazal. Even Mistress Doweel, who had crushed her into a semblance of submission over the years, learned that when her exile ended. She would show them. She would show them all!" (Toveine thinks of the other Aes Sedai at the Black Tower; Winter's Heart, Prologue)
"We may be captives, Gabrelle, but that is no reason to surrender. Especially to Ablar's vile lusts. Did he...? Did he order you?" (Winter's Heart, Prologue)