Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Rahvin, one of the thirteen original Forsaken, was born with the name Ared Mosinel (TWoRJTWoT). Little is known about him from before the War of Power, except for the fact that he most probably turned to the Dark One for power.
In appearance, Rahvin was taller than Rand, and larger as well. He looks youthful, with the exception of white streaks at his temples (TDR, Ch. 46). His hair and eyes, as well as his complexion, are dark, and he is considered to be very handsome (TDR, Ch. 47). Despite this fact, Rahvin cannot seem to tolerate rejection of any kind. When it comes to his lovers, the women he chooses rarely have any choice in the matter (TWoRJTWoT).
Rahvin, as can be expected of a Forsaken, greatly lusts for power (TSR, Ch. 58) According to Asmodean, Rahvin only looks after his own interests, and would sit on the sideline, even during the Last Battle (TFoH, Ch. 6).
- Along with all of the other Forsaken, Rahvin is sealed into the Bore.
- Rahvin sets himself up in Caemlyn, seducing Queen Morgase of Andor. He takes the name of "Lord Gaebril" (TDR, Ch. 47).
- Rahvin meets with Sammael, Lanfear, and Graendal. They form a loose alliance, intending to control Rand (TFoH, Prologue).
- When Morgase flees from the Royal Palace, Ravhin, still playing the part of Lord Gaebril, names himself King of Andor (TFoH, Ch. 51).
- When Rand attacks the Royal Palace, Rahvin uses Lightning, killing Mat, Aviendha and Asmodean (TFoH, Ch. 54).
- Rahvin and Rand chase each other through Tel'aran'rhiod. With the help of Nynaeve, Rand balefires Rahvin (TFoH, Ch. 54; Ch. 55).
Strengths and Talents
As far as the One Power is concerned, Rahvin, as all of the other Forsaken, is very strong. He also knows Compulsion, and uses it often, especially on women like Morgase.
Outside of the One Power, Rahvin excels in politics, diplomacy and manipulation (TFoH, Prologue; TWoRJTWoT). During the War of Power, he caused several regions to surrender to the Dark One without any invasions. He is a good general, and during the War of Power he held both military commands and political office (TWoRJTWoT).
Despite his talents, Rahvin has two major weaknesses. One is his love for flattery. During the War of Power, many people gained high administrative positions through flattery, though he would always replace them if they could not handle the job. The second is his fondness for women. Any carelessness that he displays can be attributed to time spent with his lovers (TWoRJTWoT).
Asmodean seems to dislike Rahvin greatly, and is glad that he is dead (TFoH, Ch. 56).
Moghedien also possibly dislikes Rahvin to some extent. She says to Nynaeve, "You are too strong to waste; you may be useful one day. I would love to see Rahvin's eyes the day he meets you unblocked" (TSR, Ch. 46).
Rahvin does not hate Rand as Sammael and Demandred do. However, Rand loathes Rahvin for what he has done to Morgase. Though he, in part, blames himself for not rescuing her sooner, Rand swears to get revenge (TFoH, Ch. 51).
Rahvin manipulates Morgase and bends her to his will. By controlling her, he basically controls Andor. By using Compulsion, he makes her think that she is in love with him.
- He always repays favors (TSR, Ch. 54).
- Gaebril replaced the Queen's Guards with men who were loyal to only him (TFoH, Ch. 12; TFoH, Ch. 19).
- As Rand plans his attack on Rahvin, Lews Therin whispers into his mind, 'He likes to come from behind, or at your flanks' (TFoH, Ch. 51).
- Morgase is determined to deal with Gaebril (TFoH, Ch. 56).
- Aran'gar thinks to herself that Asmodean and Sammael must be as dead as Be'lal and Rahvin (KoD, Ch. 3).
- Elayne thinks to herself of how Rahvin had murdered her mother, and that Lini probably died trying to protect her, because she would never back down, even before one of the Forsaken (KoD, Ch. 13).
- Few people seem to believe that it was Rahvin/Gaebril's influence that made Morgase have Ellorien flogged. Few people even seem to believe that Gaebril was Rahvin at all (KoD, Ch. 17).
- When Mattin Stepaneos claims to Egwene that Morgase was killed by Rand, Egwene informs him that she was killed by Rahvin (KoD, Ch. 24).
- Morgase eventually learns Gaebril's identity (ToM, Ch. 31). She declines Healing to remove the Compulsion (ToM, Ch. 45).
"As my Queen commands, so shall it be." (Gaebril to Morgase; The Dragon Reborn, Chapter 46).
"So it is no attack, is it? You were never one for attacking openly, were you? Not as bad as Moghedien, perhaps, but you did always favor the flanks and the rear. I will trust you this time, enough to hear you out. As long as you are under my eye." (Rahvin to Lanfear; The Fires of Heaven, Prologue).
"Is he really so strong? This Rand al'Thor. Could he have overwhelmed you, face-to-face?" (Rahvin to Lanfear; The Fires of Heaven, Prologue).
"You do too much. Go to your bedchamber and sleep. Go now. I will wake you when you have rested enough." (Gaebril to Morgase; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 1).
"You will go and wait for me, Morgase. I have dealt with all that needs dealing with. I will come to you this evening. You will go now. You will go." (Gaebril to Morgase; The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 19).
"The Chosen dwindle, Demandred. The weak fall away. Who betrays me shall die the final death. Asmodean, twisted by his weakness. Rahvin dead in his pride. He served well, yet even I cannot save him from balefire. Even I cannot step outside of time." (The Dark One to Demandred; Lord of Chaos, Prologue).
"She won't be goaded into fighting me, like Sammael and Rahvin were" (Rand, about Graendal (The Gathering Storm, Chapter 37).