Author: Atarah al'Norahn
Bayle Domon is wide and thick-shouldered with a round face. He wears his hair long, to his shoulders. Like most Illianer men, he also has a beard that leaves his upper lip bare (TEotW, Ch. 20; TSR, Ch. 38). Once he is bought by Egeanin and made her so'jhin, he keeps the beard but shaves the left side of his head and braids his remaining hair (WH, Ch. 19).
He often makes comments such as, "But Bayle Domon no give free passage, not to his own mother." However, he helps Elayne and Nynaeve in Tanchico strictly on his guilt for having to leave them in Falme (TEotW, Ch. 20; TSR, Ch. 54). He is a steadfast, strong, and intelligent man (WH, Ch. 21).
- Bayle Domon's ship is boarded by Seanchan. He is taken to Falme and handed over to High Lord Turak, who keeps him around to tell stories (TGH, Ch. 29).
- Bayle Domon waits as long as he can for Min, Elayne, Nynaeve, and Egwene, but eventually he has to set sail (TGH, Ch. 45; Ch. 46).
- Bayle Domon runs into Elayne, Nynaeve, Thom, and Juilin in Tanchico. He takes them to an inn and is talked into helping them (TSR, Ch. 49).
- Bayle Domon brings information on the Black Ajah to Nynaeve and Elayne. He recognizes Egeanin and names her as Seanchan (TSR, Ch. 51).
- Bayle Domon and Egeanin go to drop the sad bracelets into the ocean, but Egeanin is forced to give them to Suroth (TSR, Ch. 55; WH, Ch. 21).
- Bayle Domon is sold. Egeanin buys him and makes him her so'jhin (WH, Ch. 21).
- Bayle Domon is with Egeanin in Ebou Dar. They talk about leaving Ebou Dar and being rid of the Seeker that is interested in Egeanin (WH, Ch. 21).
- Bayle Domon and Egeanin help Mat and company to escape from Ebou Dar. They also escape (WH, Ch. 29; Ch. 30; Ch. 31).
- Domon marries Egeanin (KoD, Ch. 8).
- Bayle and Egeanin become close to Aludra, and he only allows Mat in to see her when Aludra says this is acceptable (TGS, Ch. 34).
- Bayle leaves for Tar Valon with the Aes Sedai (ToM, Ch. 17).
- After Leilwin and Bayle travel to TarValon. Bayle bribes someone so they can masquerade as servants to get to the Field of Merrilor (AMoL, Prologue)
- He stay with Leilwin when she presents herself to Nynaeve and then Egwene (AMoL, Ch. 1; Ch. 9)
- After the Sharans take Egwene, Leilwin and Bayle rescue her (AMoL, Ch. 23)
Twice, Bayle Domon agrees to help Elayne and Nynaeve. The first time is in Falme, when he agrees to help them escape from the Seanchan. The second time is in Tanchico, when he helps them get into the Panarch's Palace. He seems to genuinely care about whether they are all right or not; in Falme, he refuses to set sail until the last possible moment, and in Tanchico he feels guilty for having left them in Falme (TGH, Ch. 46; TSR, Ch. 54).
When Bayle and Egeanin first meet, Egeanin boards his ship and takes him to Falme, where she hands him over to High Lord Turak. Their next meeting is in Tanchico, where Bayle reveals Egeanin's identity to Elayne and Nynaeve. They start to develop an interest in each other. They soon fall in love. In fact, before leaving Tanchico, Egeanin decides to marry him. However, after he is made her so'jhin, they cannot marry, as members of the Blood are not supposed to marry their so'jhin (WH, Ch. 21)
Egeanin later releases him and they marry (KoD, Ch. 8)
Bayle thinks that Mat and Thom are both good enough men (WH, Ch. 21).
- Bayle Domon is a collector of old objects. On board the Spray he has the following: a cuendillar seal of the Dark One's prison, a lightstick, an ivory carving of a man holding a sword, and the skull of a cat as big as a lion (TGH, Ch. 9).
- He has a dozen good coasting ships near Tanchico that the Panarch's taxmen know about, and four deepwater ones that they don't (TSR, Ch. 39).
- Bayle Domon has a kitchen for the poor in Tanchico (TSR, Ch. 39).
- He is only fair at using a sword (WH, Ch. 21).
"Fortune prick me" - Often
"My name be Bayle Domon, captain and owner of the Spray, which be this ship. Now who be you, and where be you going out here in the middle of nowhere, and why should I no throw you over the side for the trouble you've brought me?" (Bayle Domon to Rand, Mat and Thom; The Eye of the World, Chapter 20)
"It's alright, he only looks and sounds like a bear." (Min to Elayne and Nynaeve; The Gathering Storm, Chapter 43)
"If soldiers come, I will make a run for the harbor mouth, and the Light have mercy on us all. But until soldiers do come, I mean to wait for those women." (Bayle Domon to his men; The Great Hunt, Chapter 45)
"Aye, I do smuggle, and make such profits as I did never believe. A tenth the amount of the excise in the custom men's pockets do turn their eyes and seal their mouths." (Bayle Domon to Elayne, Nynaeve, Thom, and Juilin; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 39)
"You could donate to Bayle Domon's kitchen. The man avoids all of the taxes, yet he taxes himself. For each crown he gives as the bribe, he gives two for the soup and the bread for the poor. He has even talked me into giving, and I pay my taxes." (Rendra to Elayne, Nynaeve, Thom and Juilin about Bayle Domon; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 39)
"Just because I can hook a shark from a boat, I do no offer to wrestle it in the water." (Bayle Domon to Egeanin; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 51)
"You can no go into the palace alone. You say you will no channel unless you must, no to warn these Black Aes Sedai. Then you must have muscle to swing a club if the need do arise, and eyes to watch your backs will no be amiss either. I am known there, to the servants. I did take gifts to the old Panarch too. I will go with you. You do make me stretch my neck on the headsman's block because I did leave you at Falme. Fortune prick me if you do no! Well, it do be done now; you can no object to this! I will go in with you." (Bayle Domon to Nynaeve and Elayne; The Shadow Rising, Chapter 54)
"We could find a Wise Woman. They do hear marriage vows, here. Of course, if I do recall the lecture you did give me on the "rights and privileges" of my position, so'jhin can only marry other so'jhin, so you do need to free me, first. Fortune prick me, you do no have a foot of those promised estates yet. I can take up my old trade and give you an estate soon enough." (Bayle Domon to Egeanin; Winter's Heart, Chapter 21)
"Renna! I did see her stab Egeanin in the back and run. If I could have reached her, I would have broken her neck, but my hand be all that's holding Egeanin's blood in." (Bayle Domon to Mat; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 29)