Word of the Day: May 2015
Author: Maibella Rhoiden
Welcome to the Word of the Day for May 2015!
This month there are some wonderfully unusual things that you can celebrate, like Star Wars Day (May the 4th be with you!), Lost Sock Memorial Day (May 9), Dance Like a Chicken Day (May 14), Lucky Penny Day (May 23), and my personal favorite, My Bucket’s Got a Hole In It Day (May 30).
Words for May
- May 1st: Abject - adjective - "utterly hopeless, miserable, humiliating, or wretched."
- May 2nd: Repugn - verb - "to oppose or refute or resist"
- May 3rd: Cataract - noun - "a descent of water over a steep surface; a waterfall, especially one of considerable size, or any furious rush or downpour of water; deluge."
- May 4th: Deucedly- adverb - "devilishly; damnably."
- May 5th: Kef - noun - "a state of drowsy contentment, especially from the use of a narcotic."
- May 6th: Assegai - noun - ""the slender javelin or spear of the Bantu-speaking people of southern Africa, or a southern African tree, Curtisia dentata, of the dogwood family, from whose wood such spears are made."
- May 7th: Shandrydan - noun - "an old-fashioned hooded chaise."
- May 8th: Fetial - adjective - "concerned with declarations of war and treaties of peace."
- May 9th: Sublimate - verb - "to divert the energy of (a sexual or other biological impulse) from its immediate goal to one of a more acceptable social, moral, or aesthetic nature or use."
- May 10th: Mantic- adjective - "of or pertaining to divination."
- May 11th: Inveigle - verb - "to persuade or obtain by ingenuity or flattery."
- May 12th: Piacular - adjective - "expiatory; atoning; reparatory."
- May 13th: Abscond - verb - "to depart secretly."
- May 14th: Bimetallism - noun - "the use of two metals, ordinarily gold and silver, at a fixed relative value, as the monetary standard."
- May 15th: Croze - noun - "the groove at either end of the staves of a barrel, cask, etc., into which the edge of the head fits."
- May 16th: Lucubration - noun - "laborious work, study, thought, etc., esp. at night."
- May 17th: Profligacy - noun - "reckless extravagance."
- May 18th: Undertone - noun - "a color modified by an underlying color."
- May 19th: Masticate - verb - "to chew. "
- May 20th: Affectation - noun - "behavior, speech, or writing that is artificial and designed to impress."
- May 21st: Aphorism - noun -"a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation."
- May 22nd: Ephemeral - adjective - "lasting for a very short time."
- May 23rd: Jobbery - noun - "the conduct of public or official business for the sake of improper private gain."
- May 24th: Klatsch - noun - "a casual gathering of people, esp. for refreshments and informal conversation."
- May 25th: Apoplexy - noun - "unconsciousness or incapacity resulting from a cerebral hemorrhage or stroke."
- May 26th: Bandy - verb - "to pass from one to another or back and forth; give and take."
- May 27th: Abut - verb – “to be adjacent to; border on; end at.”
- May 28th: Harlot - noun - "a prostitute or promiscuous woman."
- May 29th: Chaostize - verb- "to throw something or someone into a state of chaos."
- May 30th: Skylark - verb- "to frolic; sport."
- May 31st: Lollop - verb- "to move forward with a bounding or leaping motion."