Author: Atarah al'Norahn
- Although his name isn't mentioned at the time, we learn later on that Karldin is one of the Asha'man soldiers that stays with Rand after the battle at Dumai's Wells (ACoS, Ch. 2; Ch. 27).
- Loial tells Perrin that he and Karldin are being sent to visit the stedding, to talk to the Ogier about the Waygates and why they must be guarded. When Loial lingers to speak to Perrin, Karldin reminds Loial that they have to get going, and Perrin thinks to himself that "anyone the Dragon Reborn shouted at was outside the gates so far as [Karldin] was concerned." Perrin wonders if Karldin is holding the Power (ACoS, Ch. 27).
- After visiting the stedding, Karldin and Loial return to the Sun Palace in Cairhien. Samitsu and Sashalle find them in the kitchen, though both are using alternate names: Loial is Master Ledar and Karldin is Master Underhill, and they have supposedly come from the Borderlands, which the servants want to hear about. Karldin wants to know about the Aes Sedai who have bonded Asha'man as Warders, and about Fedwin Morr, who went insane and died. When Loial and Karldin are confronted by Samitsu and Sashalle, who know who they are, Karldin wants to know whether Rand is still sane. When they learn that Dobraine has been attacked, Karldin wants to leave, but Loial insists on staying (CoT, Prologue).
- Loial, Karldin, Samitsu and Sashalle go to see Dobraine. Karldin searches the dead men who had attacked Dobraine. He finds a forged letter saying that the bearers of the letter are to have private access to Dobraine's rooms. Both he and Loial seem very worried about the contents, and are afraid that something (we don't know what) might have fallen into the hands of the attackers. Karldin doesn't want Samitsu and Sashalle to see the letter, but Loial gives it to them anyway (CoT, Prologue).
- Karldin and Loial arrive at the Pendaloan estate in Tear, where Rand is staying, accompanied by Logain, Bashere, and several Asha'man and Aes Sedai. According to Loial, he and Karldin visited every stedding except for Stedding Shangtai, though Karldin refused to step inside any of them, not wanting to be cut off from saidin (CoT, Ch. 24).
- Logain tells Rand that Karldin Manfor and the other Asha'man that Rand kept with him are now on the deserters' list (CoT, Ch. 24).
- Manfor is raised to Dedicated and Asha'man (KoD, Ch. 27).
- After Logain sends the Asha'man to try and reclaim the Seals, he is one of the few to remain with Logain (AMoL, Ch. 37)
Karldin doesn't seem to like Perrin (ACoS, Ch. 27).
He is wary of Aes Sedai (CoT, Prologue).
Samitsu thinks of Karldin as "neither bonded nor tame" (CoT, Prologue).
He seems to respect Dobraine, because he was at Dumai's Wells. He tells Samitsu that he hopes she can save him (CoT, Prologue).
There has to be some amount of either friendship, respect, or a sense of duty between Loial and Karldin. When Loial wants to stay in the Sun Palace to make sure Dobraine is all right, Karldin stays even though he wants to leave (CoT, Prologue).
- When Karldin learns that the Sun Palace was partially destroyed by saidin, wielded by Asha'man trying to kill Rand, Samitsu thinks to herself that, "the tightness went out of his arm, though, and suddenly he was just a road-weary young man who needed to shave." Before that, he was very tense and uneasy (CoT, Prologue).
"Aes Sedai," a man muttered. Hidden by the crowd around the table, he had to be Ledar's companion. Samitsu could see no grown men among the kitchen folk this morning. "Tell me, do you really think they bonded those men you were talking about, those Asha'man? As Warders? And what about the one who died? You never said how." (Karldin to the kitchen staff; Crossroads of Twilight, Prologue).
"I leave when I want to leave, Aes Sedai," he said harshly, but in a low voice. For the most part, he divided his gaze between her and Sashalle, yet he was watchful for any of the kitchen workers who might come near. He did not wish to be overheard, either. "Before I do, I want some answers. What happened to... my friends? And him. Did he go mad?" (Karldin to Samitsu and Sashalle; Crossroads of Twilight, Prologue).
"Well, as I said, I visited all the stedding but Shangtai. Karldin wouldn't go inside. He'd rather sleep every night under a bush than be cut off from the Source for a minute." (Loial to Rand; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 24).