Author: Estyrien al'Halien
Joline Maza is Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah (TSR, Ch. 47). She is slender and wears tight fitting clothes (TFoH, Prologue). Joline is pretty and has large brown eyes. She has achieved the ageless look (ACoS, Ch. 16; WH, Ch. 19).
Joline was part of the group that deposed Siuan Sanche (TSR, Ch. 47). After Siuan's escape, Joline became part of Elaida's advisory council and was put in charge of the search for the former Amyrlin. However Elaida, incensed by the lack of progress, ordered a daily penance from Joline (TFoH, Prologue). The Green Ajah promptly elected Joline as Sitter to show Elaida that they would not submit easily. Elaida responded by unchairing Joline and sending her to Ebou Dar with Teslyn Baradon as an ambassador to Queen Tylin (ACoS, Prologue). She was angry with Elaida for sending her there and was determined not to cooperate (ACoS, Ch. 17). While they were there Joline and Teslyn tried to convince Mat to return to Tar Valon (ACoS, Ch. 16).
During the first day of the Seanchan invasion of Ebou Dar, Teslyn drugged Joline so she could not stop Nynaeve and Elayne from leaving the city. Her warders, Fen and Blaeric, had to carry her out of the Tarasin Palace so that she would not be captured and made damane. Once she regained consciousness Joline found herself trapped in Ebou Dar. Her warders had to move her from her hiding place several times when Seanchan raids came too close for comfort. Setalle Anan heard a rumour of an Aes Sedai in the city, found Joline and took her back to the Wandering Woman. It was there that Mat offered to help her escape from Ebou Dar (WH, Ch. 19).
In order to leave Ebou Dar, Joline had to pretend to be a damane belonging to Egeanin. She was collared and connected to Bethamin, a Seanchan sul'dam aware that she could learn to channel (CoT, Ch. 1). The group join Valan Luca's circus and slowly move their way towards Murandy. The excuse for Joline and the other Aes Sedai being with Mat is that they are servants of Egeanin (CoT, Ch. 2; CoT, Ch. 3).
- Joline is part of the group that deposes Siuan Sanche (TSR, Ch. 47).
- Joline is elected as Sitter of the Green Ajah (ACoS, Prologue).
- Joline is unchaired by Elaida and sent to Ebou Dar as part of the Tower embassy (ACoS, Prologue).
- Joline and Teslyn try to convince Mat to return to Tar Valon (ACoS, Ch. 16).
- Joline is carried out of the Tarasin Palace by her warders during the Seanchan invasion (WH, Ch. 19).
- Mat offers to help Joline escape from Ebou Dar (WH, Ch. 19).
- Joline flees Ebou Dar and joins Valan Luca's circus (CoT, Ch. 2).
- Mat spanks Joline when she slaps him (KoD, Ch. 7).
- Joline agrees to teach Bethamin when she channels (KoD, Ch. 7).
- Joline tells Tuon the Seanchan must leave the Westlands, to Teslyn's surprise. Selucia collars all three Aes Sedai. Mat releases them, after Teslyn and Edesina agree to stop baiting Tuon. Joline only agrees after (KoD, Ch. 9).
- After beating the Seanchan, Joline claims Mat now owes her, but Musenge says that it was crossbows, not her that settled the day (KoD, Ch. 36).
- Joline tells Mat the Aes Sedai are leaving and demands horses from him. He refuses. (TGS, Ch. 20).
- She goes to hinderstap with Mat and is amazed when Barlden won't ignore the regulations for Aes Sedai (TGS, Ch. 27).
- She intends to stay the night in the town until Mat persuades her to leave with him (TGS, Ch. 28).
- She tells Mat she is intending to return to Tar Valon and asks him for horses (ToM, Ch. 9).
- She leaves for Tar Valon with Edesina and Teslyn. Mat gives her Firewisp. She tells him that she would have liked to have him as a Warder and has half a mind to finish (ToM, Ch. 17).
- Mat gives her sweetbuns with sprinklewort to turn her mouth blue (ToM, Ch. 17).
Strengths and Talents
Joline has two warders, Blaeric Negina and Fen Mizar. They are very close to her (WH, Ch. 29).
Despite their differences Joline, Teslyn and Edesina always stick together when they leave the wagons in the circus (CoT, Ch. 2).
Elaida believes that Joline acts like a child (ACoS, Ch. 17).
Tesyln thinks Joline is immature (KoD, Ch. 27).
Joline thinks Mat rude and uncouth, but would have him as a Warder (ToM, Ch. 17).
- Joline's warders did not stay with her in the Tarasin palace because Teslyn refused to let them share their apartments (ACoS, Ch. 17).
- Whilst staying in Valan Luca's Circus Joline shares a wagon with Teslyn, Edesina and the three sul'dam. She is not happy with the accommodation nor sharing with the sul'dam (CoT, Ch. 3).
- When Joline felt great channeling from the north, Rand cleansing saidin, she wanted the circus to go to Illian rather than towards Murandy and the channeling (CoT, Ch. 3).
- While travelling with the circus Joline, Teslyn and Edesina leave the camp to venture into one of the villages that they pass despite orders from Mat not to leave the wagons (CoT, Ch. 28).
"Joline was a different matter. She had held her chair for the Green only a matter of weeks, and everybody was sure the Greens had selected her to show they would not be cowed by the new Amyrlin, who had handed her a fearsome penance." (Elaida about Joline; A Crown of Swords, Prologue)
"If you will not listen to him, Joline Maza, you will listen to me? I mean to see you back in the White Tower if I have to walk every step along the way pushing you! Perhaps along the way you will show me that you know what it means to be Aes Sedai. I'd settle for a glimpse of a grown woman. So far, all I have seen is a novice snivelling in her bed and throwing tantrums." (Setalle Anan to Joline; Winter's Heart, Chapter 29)
"Joline, haughty as ever, drew herself up, eyes flashing. Aes Sedai serenity or no, lightning might as well strike when Joline's eyes started flashing." (Mat about Joline; Crossroads of Twilight, Chapter 28).
"She be… childish… in some ways, and you do fascinate her the way a shiny new toy do fascinate a child. She will bond you if she can decide how to convince you to agree. Perhaps even if you do no realize you be agreeing." (Tesyln to Mat, about Joline, Knife of Dreams, Chapter 27).
"It would be good to be away from your crudeness, Cauthon. Prepare for us, say twenty-four mounts and we shall be off" (The Gathering Storm, Chapter 20).