Harnan is a Tairen file leader in the Band of the Red Hand who accompanied Mat to Ebou Dar as he had heavy shoulders and had kept order well as Redarms back in Maerone, something Mat hoped would help keep the group out of trouble (LoC, Ch. 44). He was lantern jawed with a tattoo of a hawk on his left cheek (LoC, Ch. 47; ACoS, Ch. 17). He has been a soldier all his life (ACoS, Ch. 39) and is responsible for the general maintenance of the Band and keeping order amongst the troops (LoC, Ch. 47). Talmanes thinks very highly of him (AMoL, Ch. 33).
- Mat has him escort Paers and Culen from his presence (LoC, Ch. 5).
- He goes with Mat to Ebou Dar (LoC, Ch. 44).
- He moves into the Tarasin Palace with Mat and the rest (ACoS, Ch. 28).
- He goes to the Rahad to collect the Bowl of the Winds (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- He is attacked by the gholam but is healed by Nynaeve. Along with Fergin, Gorderan and Metwyn he is one of the four Redarms to survive (ACoS, Ch. 38).
- Mat offers to buy him passage out of Ebou Dar after the gholam finds him, but he refuses (WH, Ch. 17).
- He leaves Ebou Dar with Mat (WH, Ch. 31).
- He travels with Mat and Valan Luca's menagerie through Altara (CoT, Ch. 28).
- He shots the arrow that kills Renna (CoT, Ch. 29).
- He continues with Mat until the rejoin Talmanes and the Band (KoD, Ch. 25).
- He can be assumed to have taken part in the battle after Tuon left (KoD, Ch. 37).
- He goes with Mat to Hinderstap and has to fight his way out (TGS, Ch. 27).
- Mat intends to take him posing as an apprentice when they return (TGS, Ch. 34).
- He is one of the group chosen to accompany Faile when she tries to take the Horn of Valere to Mat (AMoL, Ch. 33)
- While Vanin is trying to steal Mat's tabac, they accidentally uncovers the Horn of Valere. He and Vanin flee into the night (AMoL, Ch. 35)
- They allow themselves to be captured with the intention of escaping once they have been taken through a Gateway back to battle site (AMoL, Ch. 37)
- They find Faile again after Aravine escapes with the Horn and help protect Faile as she runs Aravine down (AMoL, Ch. 37)
"... don't care what the flaming fish-seller said, you goat-spawned toad, you use your bloody club and don't go accepting flaming challenges just because.... (To Corevin, A Crown of Swords, Chapter 12).
"A fog. I heard there was ... things ... in it (...) "I heard people just disappeared. And some was found eaten, parts of them." (To Mat, after a bubble of evil in the Rahad (A Crown of Swords, Chapter 17)
"That wouldn't be right, one thing, Lord Talmanes'd have our hides if we came back without you." (Winter's Heart, Chapter 17).